Late-start Montserrat, Food & Wine
‘Now I get it’, you say to yourself. As you appreciate the contour of the magnificent peaks of Montserrat rising in the distance, in a beautiful horizon, between vineyards and pine tree forests, you get to understand. You’ve been told all about its legends and myths during the morning, you’ve climbed its steep walls on the scenic train ride to the monastery. But it is now, from afar, contemplating how the mountain range reigns over the landscape in the distance, that you finally understand how this massif acquired its atmosphere of myth and legend. You turn around to face the rest of the group. With a glass of wine in your hand, you listen to your tour guide’s voice. It talks of generations, roots and ancient traditions. The sun feels warm in the courtyard by the castle’s façade, in the winery. Carried away, you close your eyes to embrace the tingling sensation of the wine in your tongue, mixed with the words and the overall ambience of quiet and peace.
Your tour departs from Plaza Cataluña, the main meeting point of the city, from which we will head for the small town of Monistrol de Montserrat. Our local expert guides will liven up the bus ride with plenty of quality information about the origin and evolution of the history of Barcelona. From Monistrol you will ride the “Cremallera de Montserrat”, a cogwheel train with superb views of the countryside and the mountain.
Once at the Monastery, your local tour guide will pass on their passion and knowledge of the site to you – history, legends and importance of this location in the cultural development of Catalonia. Some free time will be allowed to attend l’Escolania (the oldest Boys’ Choir in Europe)* taking a stroll through the monastery, walking to a few viewpoints, or even tasting some artisanal products from the local food market.
It is now time for food and wine! About 30 minutes drive from Montserrat awaits Oller del Mas Cellar restaurant and country-club, where you will relax while enjoying a fabulous three-course meal with local wine.
Afterwards, you will be led on an extended visit throughout the cellar, located inside the castle. The visit will allow you to discover how wine was made 600 years ago, and how tradition is combined with modern technologies nowadays.
Wine tasting will consist of three ecological château wines. Our guides will show you the key to identify a good wine through the sight, nose, and palate. You will enjoy your tapas lunch during the wine tasting, together with a cheese platter. Just before returning to Barcelona, you be able to take a stroll through the vineyards, enjoying the privileged landscape which surrounds Oller del Mas.
- Discover the Montserrat Monastery with our guided visit.
- Free time to enjoy Montserrat: options include spectacular views, amazing art collection, farmer’s market…
- See “La Moreneta”, Montserrat’s illustrious black Madonna
- Attend the Boys’ Choir brief concert (l’Escolania)*
- Have lunch the Spanish way: relaxed while enjoying a delicious multi-course homemade with local wine
- Explore Oller del Mas winery, remodeled 10th century castle
- Get an introduction to wine tasting
- Taste three ecological wines from Pla de Bages denomination of origin
*Please note that l’Escolania does not sing on Saturdays and several dates throughout the year
Approximate tour schedule
9:45 am Meet at Plaza Catalunya, 21 (by the Hard Rock Café)
10:00 am Departure for Montserrat
11:15 am Cogwheel train ride
11:30 am Guided visit through Montserrat Monastery
12:20 pm Free time at Montserrat
1:20 pm Meet with your tour guide again
1:35 pm Departure for Oller del Mas
2:15 pm Three-course meal with wine at Oller del Mas restaurant
4:00 pm Guided tour to Oller del Mas vineyards, cellar and castle
4:45 pm Wine tasting (3 ecological wines)
6:00 pm Departure for Barcelona
7:00 – 7:30 pm* Arrival to Plaza Catalunya (by the Hard Rock Café)
*Please note that the way back to Barcelona takes around 1 h – 1 h 30 minutes depending on traffic conditions.
- Shared transportation with other groups in a comfortable air-conditioned bus
- Local English-speaking tour guide
- One hour guided visit to Montserrat Monastery
- Free time at Montserrat (around 1 hour)
- Multi-course traditional meal with wine
- Visit to Oller del Mas vineyards, cellar, and castle with your guide
- Three ecological Oller del Mas wine tasting
- Possibility of shipping home the wines you taste (and others)
- Bottle of water, provided towards the end of the tour
- Pick-up and drop off at your accommodation
- Tips and gratuities
- Meeting point is Plaza Catalunya, 21 (by the Hard Rock Café).
- Tour starts at 10:00 am, please be at the meeting point at least 15 minutes before the start of the tour.
- Once at the meeting point, please look for a bright pink umbrella.
- All tours depart on time to avoid delays. Please note that late arrivals or no shows may be rescheduled, but not refunded.
- There is a limit of 16 people per group, although we reserve the right to extend the limit to 18.
- Transportation will be shared with other groups.
- You may book this as a private tour, also in other languages. Check out this link for more information.
- If you have reduced mobility, please contact us before booking. We do our best to welcome everyone on board!
- Comfortable clothes and shoes are recommended as there is some walking involved.
- Temperatures in the wineries tend to be more extreme than in Barcelona. Please check the weather forecast the day before and dress accordingly.
- Infants aged 3 or less may join the tour free of charge, but note that no car seat or meals are provided.
- All dietary allergies or restrictions are catered for.